This has been a not so fun week for this little Road Runner Chick. As you know from Monday’s post, I was feeling the funk. My head hurt, nose was stuffy, couldn’t smell or taste…. and I had a fever of 100.5 before I went to bed that night! I’ve been drinking tea like it’s going out of style!
Something I’ve been addicted to this week is Starbucks’ off the menu get well drink – The Medicine Ball! It is so good. Well, I haven’t been able to taste it but it’s soothing none the less. I brought one home for Lynn, who can taste, and she loved it. So, here is the recipe and how to make at home, per the internet, if you want something to help you sleep better or want something soothing if you are under the weather! You can thank me later!
Going into work this morning I looked like a real winner. Medicine Ball tea in one hand, and Kleenex, yes a whole box, in the other. #noshame
I’m so excited for this weekend’s race!
5 Things I’m Most Excited About regarding the Texas Trail Running Festival this weekend
- 7:30am Half Marathon followed by a 2:00pm 10k. I’ve never done back to back same day races. Will be tough as temps in the 70s at the start and 90s for the afternoon race. Oh yeah, and I’ve been sick for a week with zero running!
- The 2200+ feet of elevation gain. As much as I hate any form of elevation usually in road races, I like it on trails. It keeps the mind busy on the technical parts and breaks it up during the rest.
- Krause Springs! All the cold water, watering holes, floating, etc! It’s going to be a huge party with tons of people hanging out and running races throughout the day and night. They even have bonfires and movies Friday and Saturday night.
- Staying at an Airbnb cabin with my fiancé for the weekend which is close to the race. Can’t wait to share pictures!
- The scenery I’ll see during the races, and the new people Ill get to meet! I so love the running community!
The race hub is at Krause Springs, which was founded in 1955 and is a staple of the Hill Country. It is a 115-acre privately owned property that has been owned by the Krause family for more than 50 years. There are 32 springs, primitive tent camping, 24 RV sites with water and electricity. We have reserved an entire section right above the waterfalls! Remember, Krause Springs does not allow glass bottles or pets.
Grelle Recreation Area
The Grelle Recreation Area is where most of the race course is located. Grelle is a 276-acre park that is wrapped around a cove on the south shore of Lake Travis, and is right next to Krause Springs. It features fantastic single track, some flowing sections, a lot of technical running. Short climbs, one decently long climb. In and out of draws, along the lake for quite a lot of mileage. Loads of fun.
Wish me luck as I am still feeling quite awful. However, got some good things in today which I’ll talk about tomorrow which should help, and I still have 36 hours to improve. Fingers crossed!
So, as you know I took the level 1 RRCA Certification Course a few weeks ago. I had 30 days to complete a 100 question exam and wanted to get started sooner than later. Being that I was sick, seemed like the perfect time, right? Probably not, but that’s how I roll!
It may have been my fever the first night, but the first 30 questions were the hardest. My strategy was to be confidant in my answer and not go on to the next until I was sure of my answer. This alleviated me from going back 100 times and over thinking things more than I already had, and changing my answers 10 times. I know I’ll be annoyed even with the few I missed as I’m sure they were ones I over thought.
I flipped through my trusty book over and over and over and over and (yes it’s allowed), but a lot of the questions are situation based and you have to apply things you’ve learned or coaching strategies. Was harder than I thought it would be, but not over the top.
I held my breath as I hit submit, only to immediately get my results back of passed, with an A, I might add. Hey, my fiancé is a teacher so I have to add that fact! Bella and I went to bed right after!
I’m super excited to apply this knowledge to my running and to work with my coach after this weekend’s race as well as assisting others. I have a fire in me for the Chevron Houston Marathon in January, and I’m going for it hard!
That being said, race registration opens June 5th, Global Running Day! Mark your calendars.
Also, the following two Scallywompus races are upon us! Sign up and enjoy an amazing race and the best after party around! Use code ROADRUNNERCHICK15 for 15% off! Sign up HERE
I hope everyone has a great Friday! I’m going to start packing and then hit the hay early! Can’t wait to share with you our fun evening tonight!
See you at the start line!
- Any plans this weekend
- What are some things I can’t forget to pack for this weekend’s races?
- Have you ever done something silly when sick, like take an important test?